This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Protocol Handler in multiple users scenario (terminal services etc.)

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM
How the DynamicsNAV Protocol Handler can be made to work in a terminal server without admin rights for multiple users?

In our situation we have terminal server installed for NAV2013 clients, NSTs and DBs are both on a separate servers. Multiple users log on to this terminal server and use both clients (DevEnv and Windows) to do development work. As there is multiple build versions of clients on the same server we have issue with running objects from DevEnv. I've tested the Protocol Handler and it works as intended for an admin user, but non admin users get error message.
Nov 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
What I though is, that activating it as admin will activate it for all users. If not, we can change the registry key which is changed to change the computer wide one. Please, can you test if the activation by admin have effect for all users on the server?
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I tested as follows:

I ran the NAV Protocol Handler(NAVPH) as an administrator on the RDS server and activated it. I tested running object from DevEnv (custom location and build) and right version of Windows client is used for that object. So the NAVPH works as intended with this user logged in as administrator.

I left the NAVPH activated and logged in with another user account which doesn't have administrative rights on the RDS server. When trying to run an object from DevEnv (custom location and build) I get UAC prompt:

After bypassing the UAC prompt with "No" -answer I get error message:

When the NAVPH is deactivated I get the normal error from either normal or administrative user because of "wrong" registry entry for Win client (wrong version):
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Ok, than the hook is working ok, but there is some problems with the app wanting to have admin rights to manage the hyperlink. It is interesting, it should not change anything... ok, I will do some research on this.
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.